The Churches of Montevarchi

List and addresses of churches in Montevarchi

chiesa_santa_maria_grazie
  • Sant’Andrea a Cennano – Via Isidoro del Lungo, 4

(It was built in 1327 by the Minor Conventual Franciscans with the help of the Ricasoli family. Restored several times, it was completely renewed in 1772 on a design by Giuseppe Cicori. Nowadays in the simple façade (1935) is placed, inside the portal’s lunette, a bas-relief with “Saint Ludwig” by Pietro Guerri. Inside, the cupola has XVIII century frescoes much repainted. The wooden choir, dating back to 1637, was sculpted by the master Giovanni da Figline. Next to the church is the convent of Saint Ludwig with an interesting XV century cloister. As a result of the monastic suppressions, it was given to the Accademia Valdarnese del Poggio in 1821 and used as a Museum of Palaeontology and as the seat of the prestigious Library of Poggio.)

  • Collegiata San Lorenzo – Via Poggio Bracciolini

(Its importance is due to the presence in Montevarchi, around the half of the 13th century, of the relic of the Sacred Milk of the Holy Virgin. At the beginning of the 16th century, a small temple with Robbiani relieves was built to host it. Nowadays it is kept in the museum adjoining the church. Its present look is due to the remaking by Massimiliano Soldani Benzi between 1706 and 1722. The present façade was made in 1932. The Latin cross inside keeps a mighty high altar , by Soldani (1709): with sculptures representing two angels holding the curtain and the “Glory of the Virgin with Child”, by Giovanni Baratta. The frescoes of the dome representing the “Glory of the Assumpted with the Trinity and the saints of the Heaven” were made by Matteo Bonechi (1720-1722).)

  • Nativita’ Di Maria Ss. Al Giglio – Via Ammiraglio Burzagli, 124

(The church was built between 1575 and 1578. The outside was changed adding a continuos arcade on three sides in 1602. The presence of this porch has to be traced back to the Mariani sanctuaries of the Counter-Reformation. Inside, on the high altar, there is a beginning of the XV century detached fresco representing the “Madonna with Child and Saints Peter and John”.)

  • Santa Croce – Via Della Ginestra

(The complex was the see of the Benedictine monastery of Sant’Angelo, destroyed by the Saracens in 849 and rebuilt in 876. Used as an hospital, that is as a shelter for pilgrims, it kept this function until 1445, when it was given to the Benedictine nuns who stayed there until the suppression by Leopoldo. Around the end of the 800’s the ex monastery was transformed into a spinning mill. The present church of Santa Croce, introduced by a steep flight of stairs, has inside some interesting fragments of frescos with a “Crucifixion” and a “Convivial Meeting between Saint Benedict and Saint Scolastica”, probably by an artist from Florence from the XV century. Moreover there is a beautiful sculpted marble stoup, dated 1630.)

  • Chiesa della Confraternita della Misericordia – Via Cennano, 163

(Dedicated to Saint Sebastian, it is also known as ‘Church of the Nuns’ because it was under the monastery of Santa Maria del Latte, suppressed in the Napoleonic period. The church, dating back to 1567, has one nave covered by vaults, and has a nice Rococo decoration made of gilt stuccoes. Behind the altar is kept a canvas representing the “Deposition of Saint Sebastian”, patron Saint of the Confraternity, by Giuseppe Marrubini, an academic painter who worked in the second half of the XIX century.)

  • Santa Maria al Pestello – Via Pestello Alto, 2

(The church was rebuilt in 1680 on the foundation of a former XVI century oratory built to venerate the image of the “Holy Family”, popularly called the ‘Madonna of the Graces’, which was kept in a tabernacle placed next to the bridge on the stream Dogana. The present structure of the building shows sober characters from the XVII century and is adorned by a porch. Inside, on the high altar there is the fresco with the “Holy family”, a work by the Florentine school from the XVI century. In the adjoining chapel of the Compagnia are kept two XIV century bells coming from the church of San Tommaso in San Tommè.)

  • Convento dei Cappuccini, Via Senio

(The convent rose around 1540 on the ruins of the ancient Castle of Monte Guarchi. The castle church, dedicated to Saint Lawrence, was completely renovated according to the simple forms in use in the churches of the order. Today, on the main altar, there is an imposing board of the kind composed of a massive frame in of sculptured wood of classic style, dating back to 1712. Inside there is a fresco from the beginning of the 1700’s, with “Our Lady of Sorrows, Mary Magdalene and Saint John the Evangelist” at the foot of a “Crucifix” from the XV century.)

  • Sant’Andrea Corsini a Montevarchi – Viale G. Matteotti
  • San Tommaso a Santomme’ – Via Si Santomme’, 1
  • Ss. Trinita’ alla Gruccia – Via la Gruccia
  • Santi Andrea e Lucia – Via Levanella, 1
  • Santa Maria a Ricasoli – Frazione Ricasoli
  • San Marco a Moncioni – Frazione Moncioni
  • Santa Maria Assunta – Frazione Moncioni
  • Santa Reparata – Frazione Mercatale Valdarno
  • San Martino – Piazza del Secco, 9, Frazione Levane