The complex was the see of the Benedictine monastery of Sant’Angelo, destroyed by the Saracens in 849 and rebuilt in 876. Used as an hospital, that is as a shelter for pilgrims, it kept this function until 1445, when it was given to the Benedictine nuns who stayed there until the suppression by Leopoldo. Around the end of the 800’s the ex monastery was transformed into a spinning mill. The present church of Santa Croce, introduced by a steep flight of stairs, has inside some interesting fragments of frescos with a “Crucifixion” and a “Convivial Meeting between Saint Benedict and Saint Scolastica”, probably by an artist from Florence from the XV century. Moreover there is a beautiful sculpted marble stoup, dated 1630.
Via Della Ginestra
52025 Montevarchi (AR)